Monday, June 1, 2009

Art imitates, well, uh....

...what might be art in some other warped dimension.

In an age when everything is either "inspired by" or "derived from", or "created in partnership" via some "creative commons licensing agreement", it gets to a point where we have to celebrate the nearly mundane when it finally produces an original thought. (consider U2 ripping the Escape Club, who ripped Elvis Costello and so on...) This, as you can imagine, pisses me off. Hell, if you know me, kittens can piss me off, so this isn't really much of a stretch.

Anyway... While discussing the van culture of the '70's recently, I stumbled across a video for an old movie "The Van" (not to be confused with the mode of transport your creepy neighbor who works at the chloroform plant is always hauling candy and rags in)... and instantly recognized a similarity between 1974 and the present day (beyond bad acting, terrible haircuts and really shitty cinematography).

This clip:

Is eerily close to any reveal on "Pimp My Ride"....

Odd...certainly. Creepy as all hell... why yes it is.

Considering the two, I think I'll take vannin'. Less chance of having to listen to crappy music and deal with some trendy sporting stupid shades and a fauxhawk... and my Converse All-Stars will still be in style. Keep on vannin', or whatever.

...that said, I got nothin' else. Enjoy the mind-blowing-ness that is modern entertainment versus van movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment